Donald Trump and emmanuel Macron enjoy the Bastille Day celebrations
1. France is the EU’s largest country in area and the second largest (after Germany) in population.
2. France is the most popular tourist destination in the world, with about 82 million visitors.
3. The Louvre in Paris is the world’s most visited art museum.
4. Disneyland Paris has more visitors than the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower put together.
5. Under French law it is possible, with permission from the President, to marry a dead person as long as you can prove they intended to marry you.
6. The French army still keeps a dovecote with about 150 carrier pigeons, for communication in case of an emergency.
The French arm keeps about 150 messenger pigeons in service in case of emergency
7. After the abdication of Charles X on August 2, 1830, his son Louis XIX became King of France. He abdicated about 20 minutes later.
8. This year, France passed a law banning companies with more than 50 employees from sending emails after normal working hours.
9. In 1963, France became the first country to send a cat into space and bring it back alive.
10. There are nearly 200 snail farms in France but they still import 85 per cent of the snails they eat.